1.24.2012

68 - Reading Riot no. 3

Last week's book: Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen.


This book was really interesting, actually. It's akin to The Notebook in that the main character is in his nineties and remembering his life. His name is Jacob Jankowski. During the Depression, Jacob was at Cornell finishing up a degree in veterinary sciences when he's told that his parents were killed in a car accident. Too distraught from the tragedy, Jacob runs out of his final exams and happens upon the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth by jumping their train. One thing leads to another and he becomes the show's veterinarian. Most of the book is dedicated to his time with the Benzini Brothers travelling group.

The book was a bit dry for me at first, but after about a quarter of the way through it picked up. I'll be honest, I only wanted to read it because I haven't seen the movie. If I know that a movie is based on a novel, I try to read the novels first. Everyone who did see the movie told me that it was really good, so I was excited to read the book. It was a little bit predictable, romance-wise, but I liked it because the romance part wasn't the main storyline.

Basically, I liked this book. I didn't love it, but I very solidly liked it. I definitely want to see the movie.

I would say the book is rated PG-18. There was a lot of swearing (a lot of the F bomb) and one particular circus act was... inappropriate. So, Sara and Kim, I wouldn't recommend you read this book. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. hands down one of my favorite movies! love love love! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete