1.05.2012

57 - Constant State of Transition

One reason I love college:

Christmas break is nearly a month long. 

In high school, and every other pre-collegiate schooling for the matter, Christmas break is somewhere between 9 and 14 days. Plus the added bonus of at least 20 hours of homework. They're "trying to prepare you for college." And truly, much more studying and better habits are required in college. However, Christmas break in college is everything Christmas break in high school wasn't. No homework, a very reasonable amount of time off, and brand-new classes to look forward to when the break is over. It's quite lovely. 

My break is almost over, as I'm leaving for Logan tomorrow. When I first arrived back in Salt Lake, it almost felt weird. My house felt familiar, but not like the place where I lived. I occasionally woke up expecting to be back in my dorm. Now, I'm in a routine and I feel like it's my house again. Just in time for me to go back to Logan. 

When you think about it, though, it's just what college is all about: change. Learning to transition. I'm in the process of transitioning from being a child to an adult; dependent to independent; naive to experienced. Things never stay the same, no matter how much we want them to. I've had wonderful moments that were just that -- moments. Time is fleeting, and doesn't like to stand still. I'm not supposed to get "comfortable" anywhere. This period of my life is learning to adapt and change to my surroundings, and then explore new ones. Explore new boundaries, new potentials... see what mark I'm gonna make on the world. Or, at least, try to make some mini ones. 

Rocky Votolato said it best: 

Life keeps on changing
I tell it to stay still but it won't listen
I just want you near me, 
like you are now
for good. 

Life always changes, people always change. The smart thing to do is change right along with them. Change together, progress together with the people you love. Change doesn't seem so scary when there's someone with you. 

I'm in a stage of constant change. I change roommates, I change friends, I change addresses, classes, jobs,  books, callings, style... but I'm the same person. And the people I love will always be there. My family and friends will always be just a phone call away, and a short-but-not-really drive away if need be. 

Life always changes. Just be careful not to lose you during the unexpected turns. Transition into someone better, but as my mother always says, remember who you are. 


No comments:

Post a Comment