1.19.2012

65 - Winter Setting

In my literary analysis class today, we talked about the importance of setting in a story. Context. It's important to analyze why in contrast to where. Sometimes, setting can have deeper meanings and reflect thematic elements. A good example of a novel involving setting in its theme is Lord of the Flies. When the boys were on the platform, their society represented civility and organization. When they were by the craggy rock, their society represented barbarism and savagery. Setting is important. (By the way, I really hated that book. I can appreciate its literary value, but I just did not enjoy reading it.)

Setting can be applied to everyone. Context can be applied to everyone. It can also define people, and their actions. Based on my introduction, you might suspect I have some philosophical gem to share about human nature.

Nope.

I live in Logan, Utah. It's generally very cold and snowy. Today, in the middle of January, the high is 44 degrees Fahrenheit. First thing that pops into my mind? I can wear a dress today.

It's funny because I know people from all over that come here. You can usually tell the native Rocky Mountain area people by how they dress: Light jackets usually, often in dresses or skirts (for the girls) and shorts (for the boys). One of my friends once said that only in Utah is it normal to wear a sweatshirt with shorts. You can always tell the out-of-towners by their apparel as well: bundled up like a marshmallow if it's anything below freezing. I've only worn my heavy coat a handful of times this winter (albeit, it has been an unusually mild one), and 40 degrees means I don't even have to wear tights with my dress.

Currently, I'm wearing the dress I wore for graduation with red socks and black boots. No tights.

Just something to think about. I realize that most of the people who read my blog are my family or friends that also live in Utah. But, if by chance you are not someone I know and are from a different kind of setting, please comment and tell me about it! (I have this fantasy that lots of people read my blog, but I know it's not true. Don't worry. It's always fun to pretend, though!)

No comments:

Post a Comment