11.28.2011

49 - English Major

Reasons why I'm an English major:

  • I enjoy editing papers. 
  • Using incorrect grammar is a good way to torture me. Or just drive me crazy and force me to correct you. 
  • I say things like "Charles Dickens is the Chuck Norris of the English language."
  • I would rather write essays and papers than any other kind of school work. 
  • I have several journals full of long-winded passages that probably could be shortened to a sentence. 
  • Reading Shakespeare literally takes my breath away. 
  • In sixth grade, I was supposed to write a two page paper on Lois Lowry. I wrote six instead... 
  • I want a bracelet with mini Harry Potter books on it. 
  • My sister used to get mad at me for my vocabulary. (You know who you are. Hehe.)
  • Dog-earing books is a hanging offense in my opinion. 
  • In elementary school, I mainly read at recess. 
  • Once, during the summer, I read over 2500 pages in a week and a half. I was also dead to the world...
  • My sister tells me that I used to fall asleep reading, but my eyes were still open. 
  • When I doodle, I doodle in words. Not pictures. 
  • I often write in cursive with my finger on things I'm holding, or in the air. 
  • I like writing in this blog. Sometimes I get away with myself and write too much, so people probably stop reading. I've tried to control that a bit...
  • My ceiling and wall used to be plastered with quotes. 
  • I've been building a personal library of my own since I was 7. 
  • I was better friends with the librarian in elementary school than I was with my peers. 
  • My idea of a fun date is walking through Barnes and Noble with hot chocolate and good conversation. 
  • If I could, I would spend all my money on books. 
  • I've been pretty apprehensive about the Kindle because I don't want my future to be a paperless one. 
  • I hate to say it, but I'm kind of arrogant when it comes to English. I'm working on it...
  • I think I know more than I actually do. I'm sure experience will humble me in that aspect. 
And the number one reason why I'm an English major: 
  • I love words, and I think the English language can be more powerful than any weapon in the world. I hope I can spread that love and knowledge, and inspire people the way I've been inspired. Hence the reason I'm studying to be an English teacher. See this post and this post to read more about how much I love words. 
I don't know how to express how captivated I am by literature. But you all know how much I love theatre, and Charles Dickens connects the two nicely. 

"Poetry makes life what lights and music do the stage." 

No comments:

Post a Comment