5.07.2012

85 - Adventure Time

One Tuesday afternoon, I decided that enough was enough.

I'd had enough of school, I'd had enough of my room, I'd had enough of writing papers, I'd had enough of playing it safe.

I'm not a very spontaneous person... at ALL... and I thought about all the fun that the spontaneous people have. They try new things, meet new people, develop new likes... and I do the same thing. Everyday. In fact, while I was thinking about this, I was at the gym. Which is almost always where I am on Tuesdays at noon.

I eat almost the same thing everyday, do the same things everyday, and see the same people every day. I am, as they say, a creature of habit.

After I told myself that enough was enough, I went back to my dorm, packed my backpack with stuff, and got on the bus. The only thinking time I did was looking up which bus routes go to where, and I ended up at the Logan Temple. Thus began my adventure.



I sat on the bus, pulled the string when my stop came up, and got out. As it was a lovely spring day, flowers were everywhere.




I also saw a lovely view of the temple from across the street. Determined to take lots of pictures, I made my way to the temple grounds. Once there, I commenced about an hour's worth of photography. Here are my favorites:










"A Mighty Fortress is Our God"






After I took many pictures, I sat on the lawn and read for about a half hour. (Speaking of reading... Reading Riot is not finished. I merely have much catching up to do.) This is what I read:


I've read it before - about three years ago. I heard the movie was good, so I wanted to read it again. For those of you that enjoy reading in stream of consciousness, I'd recommend this book. Not all of it is in stream of consciousness, but a good portion is. Disclaimer - there are some F bombs. Luckily, I didn't read any of those while I was reading this at the temple...

Anyway. After I was finished reading, I determined to make my way to Main Street. Along the way, I (of course) took some pictures.











Everyone in Logan always asks if I'm related to the chiropractor. Well, I don't know if I am. But I found his office! 





When I was on Main Street, I wandered into an antique bookstore called Books of Yesterday...




That last one is a VERY old copy of the Three Musketeers! I wanted to buy it so bad, but alas. Not in my budget.

After the bookstore, I wandered to the old courthouse and read for a while longer.


At about 6:15, I began walking back to my dorm. I didn't really want to wait at a bus stop or find my way back to the transit center, so I just walked home from Main Street.





I was gone from 2 until 7. All by myself, walking around Logan. I got a bit sunburned, as it was probably 80 degrees outside, and my feet really hurt afterward. The only person I told was Cole, and he just told me to be safe. He couldn't come because of classes and homework.

Around 6:30, I got a text from my roommate asking if I was dead. I assured her that I wasn't, and that I simply needed... time. Time alone. (When you're living in a dorm, you NEVER get alone time.)

I needed peace, I needed an open mind. I needed to do something so wholly unlike me to see if I could really do it. And I did.

I know it's not anything big. I mean, it was just a bus ride and a long walk. But it was a step into the future for me.

My first year of college is over. I'm starting my first job in fall. I signed a lease on an apartment - my own lease. I think it's time I start taking more steps, don't you?

-ka

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! Also...dare I say your activities sound like something your dad would do? You might be turning into a chip off the proverbial block...

    ReplyDelete