5.16.2012

89 - The Beauty of a Second

When I went to a movie the other day, during the Megaplex pre-show (which is normally kind of dumb), there was an ad for something actually really cool.

Recently, the 100th birthday of the chronograph came and went, and in celebration of that, there was a contest. You see, we may not think that it's a big deal to be able to tell time down to the tenth of a second or even less. But to the people living 1912, it was a huge deal - a breakthrough in science that would change the world forever.

To commemorate this huge achievement, there was a film contest. Applicants were to capture beauty in one second, and all of the seconds were put on a website. Then, people could take the individual seconds and create playlists out of them. There were two winners: the winner for the best second and the winner for the best playlist. Unfortunately, I couldn't upload the best playlist on here. But I could upload this playlist, and I still think it's pretty cool. Watch it - it's only a minute long.



If you want to explore the website a bit and maybe find some more playlists, go to montblanconesecond.com.

Like most artsy things do, this got me to thinking about beauty in my own life - and how long a second can actually be.

In one second, a person can be born. Or, a person can die. In one second, you can hear the beginnings of a song that brings back a rush of memories long forgotten. In one second, your life can be changed.

It's important to see the beauty in everything, because it all could go away in one second.

This world really is marvelous; it is a wonder to behold. Sometimes beautiful things aren't happy, and sometimes they are. The important thing to remember about beauty is that it isn't perfect. It just is.

Things at which I marvel and wonder:
my nephew's laugh
a cloudless, starry sky
a snowy night
softly spoken words
the magic of literature
a kiss
intricate melodies
the love between people
the waves of the ocean
the beginning of a new day
a warm hand to hold
the passion one person, namely me, can feel

I think at passion is what I marvel the most. I can get so swept up in my feelings that I can't control myself. I'm taken into a whirlwind of inspiration and excitement; it's overwhelming at times. If I've learned anything about having passions for ideas, it's that oftentimes passion and love go hand in hand.  If I could record anything, it would be the look on someone's face when they think of something, or someone, they love.

I've seen it before, by accident, and I can't think of anything more beautiful than that.

-ka

No comments:

Post a Comment