8.24.2012

102 - Last Day of Summer

I've been so focused on getting through this summer that it hasn't really dawned on me that it's over. I'm moving tomorrow, so today is basically my last day of summer. And do you know what I'm doing? Packing. And cleaning. Haha.

It's funny how things change as you grow up. I remember, when I was younger, the Last Day of Summer being an almost reverent day (hence the capitalization). I definitely didn't spend it doing boring things. Summer was the time where I didn't have any rules. I could just do what I wanted.

Now, though, I already have that. After moving out once, I'm used to that. So moving home for the summer was almost... less freedom than I was used to. I had a curfew, I had to ask permission for things, I had to always tell my mom where I was... Not that I mind, but it was definitely less freedom.

I had a lot of fun this summer. I went on some awesome trips. I also had a lot of sadness and missing this summer. But now, on this Last Day of Summer, I realize that I'm definitely ready for life again.

I miss these guys:


This one's married:


I will miss these guys, though:


But not him because he's coming with me :)


Life changes. Perspective changes. You grow older. If you take the opportunity, you can learn from life. You can apply lessons, and you can progress. I have a lot more growing to do.

You know what's funny, though? Last summer, right after I graduated high school, I felt so... old. 
Right now, on this Last Day of Summer, I feel so young and naive. I know what growing up means. It means doing hard things. It means being by yourself sometimes. It means taking responsibility.

It means de-capitalizing the Last Day of Summer.

-ka

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how the older you get the more you realize the less you know and the more you have to grow! It's ironic cause I know I've learned so much but I almost feel as though I'm degressing as I gain more perspective on how much further I've got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I feel, 100%. And I am so glad that you are moving up tomorrow too, I thought I was one of the last ones.

    ReplyDelete